While buying a dog bed can get expensive, making your own dog bed is affordable and easy. What's more, you can customize the fabrics and trims to suit your furry friend or the decor of your home. Use this free dog bed pattern to get started.
Free Dog Bed Pattern in Two Sizes
This dog bed pattern from LoveToKnow is easy to size up or down, depending on the size of your dog. For smaller dogs, enlarge the pattern by four to create a dog bed that is 23 inches by 31 inches. For bigger dogs, enlarge it by six, giving you a dog bed measuring 35 inches by 47 inches. To download the pattern, simply click on the image of the finished dog bed. If you need help downloading the printable pattern, check out these helpful tips.
Things You'll Need
Gather the following tools and supplies to make your dog bed:
- Two and a half yards of washable fabric
- 10 yards of piping or other trim
- Washable fiberfill stuffing
- Thread to match your fabric
- Sewing machine
- Hand sewing needle and pins
What to Do
- Begin by printing out the dog bed pattern and enlarging it according to the size of your dog. Cut out the pieces, and then pin them to the fabric. Cut the number of pieces specified in the pattern.
- The two large rectangles will form the top and bottom of the bed. Set one of these rectangles aside. Take the remaining rectangle and pin the piping in place along the outer edges, leaving a half-inch seam allowance. Baste the piping in place, and then remove your pins. Repeat with the other rectangle.
- The thin strips are for the sides of the bed. Each strip matches one of the sides of the larger rectangles. Set one of the larger rectangles aside. Pin the side strips to the remaining rectangle, matching the size according to the size of the side (long strips on long sides, shorter strips on shorter sides). Be sure to place the right sides of the fabric together. Sew the strips in place where you pinned them, using a half-inch seam allowance.
- At the corners of the large rectangle, draw the side pieces up to create the sides of the bed. Pin them at the corners, and sew to secure.
- Pin the remaining large rectangle in place to create the last side of the dog bed. Sew around almost all of the rectangle, leaving part of one side open for stuffing.
- Turn the bed right side out. Insert stuffing into the opening you left until the bed has the desired firmness.
- Pin the opening closed, and hand sew it shut.
Keep these tips in mind as you make your dog bed:
- Using fiberfill stuffing allows you to wash the entire bed in your washing machine and dry it in your dryer. Make sure you purchase fabric that is also washable.
- Choose durable fabric like canvas, corduroy, twill, or heavy fleece. Dogs can be rough on their beds, and you want your work to last.
- Get creative with the trim. Piping gives the bed a classy look, but there's nothing wrong with substituting lace or ruffles.
- If your sewing machine has an embroidery function, you can add your dog's name or initials to the top of the bed for a personal touch.
Making your own dog bed doesn't take a lot of time or money. In fact, all you need are a few supplies and a free pattern, and you can begin creating a cozy place for your dog to have sweet dreams.