Dog poop scoopers are one piece of canine care equipment no owner should be without. Learn why properly disposing of your dog's droppings is so important for your health and the environment, and which dog poop scoopers are the best for the job.
More Than You Ever Wanted to Know about Dog Poop
Dog poop is a natural fertilizer and good for the ground, right? Wrong! Although fecal matter is a main component of many fertilizers, it's been carefully composted and cured into a useable product.
Raw dog poop, if you'll forgive the description, carries quite a few toxic organisms that can be left behind in yards and kennel runs. Let's take a look at the short list.
Dog poop contains:
- E.coli: This potent bacterium can cause infections of the ears, eyes, throat and gastrointestinal system.
- Campylobacter: This is another nasty bacterium that can cause severe diarrhea in humans.
- Streptococcus: This bacterium has the ability to cause systemic infections that can be fatal.
- Salmonella: These bacteria can cause muscle pain, headaches, fever, diarrhea, vomiting and dehydration.
As if that isn't enough to cause some major concerns, dog poop often contains some nasty parasites left behind in the ground to await their next host.
- Pin worms
As you've probably surmised by now, far more bad than good is done to the environment when dog waste is left to breakdown on its own. That's why all dog owners need reliable dog poop scoopers.
About Dog Poop Scoopers
The average dog poop scooper comes in a long-handled, two piece tool set. One tool is used to rake the poop into the other waiting scoop, which is then used to carry and dispose the poop into a bag. The beauty of this system is that you never come close to the dreaded doo.
While this basic model certainly gets the job done, entrepreneurs are always trying to develop a more efficient design. Let's look at a few of the latest styles.
- GoGo Stick Totally Clean Pooper Scooper - This unique design is a shovel at the end of a stick. Use any bag and attach it to the end and you've basically got yourself a pooper picker upper that keeps everything clean. The design means you don't have to touch anything.
- Four Paws Allen's Super Scooper is designed for use in grass. This scoop uses a single handed spring load action to open and collect droppings. Although you must deposit each load into a bag as you go, you never have to deal with roll away poop again.
- Mutt Mitt Dog Waste Pick up Bag - This bag is ergonomically shaped so that it's easier to pick up after your dog and stay clean.
If you just can't bring yourself to scoop poop on your own lawn, there is another answer to your dilemma.
Dog poop scooping services are usually as near as your local phone directory. For a fee, an enterprising individual will come to your property and comb the yard for all of your dog's droppings. All the feces will properly bagged and either set out for your scheduled trash pickup, or carried away from your property for off-site disposal, depending on the terms of your service contract.
Poop Scooping Tips
- Always wear plastic gloves to protect your hands from germs, and wash your hands when you're finished.
- Make sure your bag is big enough for the job, and doesn't have any holes. There's a significant difference in the size of a Toy Poodle's stool and a Great Dane's.
- Scooping each pile as it comes is a safer sanitation plan than letting the droppings accumulate.
- For large yard cleanups, plan to use several smaller bags rather than one large trash bag. The poop is heavier than you may realize, and springing a leak is definitely one experience you can do without.
Dog poop scoopers are a fact of life for pet owners. If you have dogs, you have poo, so what else are you going to do? Treat yourself to the best model you can afford and get busy scooping.