When shopping for the perfect birthday or holiday dog lover gift, the options are nearly endless. From sentimental items to novelty gags, gift ideas come in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and colors - much like the dog breeds themselves.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Gift
Before selecting a specific item, it is important to consider the recipient's tastes. If they do not like to read, a book or magazine is not an appropriate gift, no matter how carefully it may be chosen. Gift-givers should also investigate what dog lover items the recipient already owns: another picture frame may not be appreciated when the dog owner already owns a dozen. Luckily, dog lover gifts come in a wide range of styles and prices, and with a bit of attention to the recipient's preferences, finding the perfect gift is as easy as burying a bone.
Generic Dog Lover Gifts
Generic gifts are not necessarily poor choices: rather than focusing on a specific animal or breed, these dog lover gifts highlight the special relationship between an owner and their canine companion. Examples of generic items include:
- Photo frames adorned with paw prints, bones, or doggy sayings
- Dog-oriented publications such as Dog Fancy or Bark Magazine
- Clothing (t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, etc.) with dog lover sayings
- Pet equipment such as specialized bowls, treats, or grooming accessories
- Gift certificates for grooming, boarding, or other necessary services
- Personalized coupons for pet-sitting services or other friend-to-friend assistance
- General dog books about history, training, or grooming
- Novelty dog items such as stuffed dogs, paw print ink stamps, mugs, jewelry, or calendars
While generic items may lack the specialized flair of breed-specific dog lover gifts, their practicality and applicability will be appreciated and treasured, particularly if the dog lover chooses a different breed for their next pet or if they don't have a specific breed preference.
Breed-Specific Dog Lover Gifts
If the recipient loves one specific dog breed, it is easy to find gifts focusing on that type of dog. Specialty pet stores, groomers, breeders, and trainers often have a supply of unique items pertaining to individual breeds, though less common breeds may be more difficult to find. Internet searches and online auction sales are excellent venues to find breed-specific dog lover presents of any shape and size. Types of breed-specific gifts include:
- Books about the specific breed including grooming, history, and training
- Items imprinted with breed photos, such as calendars, mugs, bookmarks, and stationary
- Clothing with the breed's photo or name printed or embroidered
- Novelty figurines or holiday ornaments featuring specific breeds
- Videos that feature a specific breed, such as 101 Dalmatians or Lassie
- "Beware of" breed signs or bumper stickers
Many other breed-specific dog lover gifts can be found no matter what the desired breed. A simple search of the breed name and "gift" or "novelty" as keywords will result in a wide range of choices to match any budget or special occasion.
When choosing any gift, the key is to make it both appreciated and appropriate. Dog lover gifts come in as many shapes and sizes as there are breeds, with a generous range from novelty items to practical equipment. Whether you choose a generic dog lover item, a breed specific gift, or something useful to both the owner and their pet, your dog lover gifts are sure to create many smiles and happy wagging tails.