Picking a name for your new Pug is no easy task. They have so many silly quirks to use for inspiration, not to mention a huge personality and an expressive, comical face. If you're on the hunt for a cute Pug name for your pup, consider one of these options.
Named After Famous Pugs
Does your Pug act like they're a celebrity? If your dog loves being the center of attention, why not name them after an iconic Pug from the silver screen?
- Bess (The West Wing)
- Frank (Men in Black)
- Jack Bauer or JB (Kingsman: The Secret Service)
- Mel (Secret Life of Pets)
- Otis (The Adventures of Milo and Otis)
- Percy (Pocahontas)
- Precious (The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature)
- Rufus (Breakin' All the Rules)
Best Cute Pug Names
It can be challenging to find a name equally as adorable as your new friend. However, this list of cute Pug names comes pretty close. Many of these names are inspired by food items or simply roll nicely off the tongue, making them all great choices for your little roly-poly.
Punny, Cute Pug Names
If you enjoy plays on words, a Pug-inspired pun could be a great name choice. Consider one of these silly monikers or create your own Pugelicious name.
- Al Pugcino
- Bilbo Puggins
- Elvis Pugsley
- Jabba the Pug
- Love Pug
- Mr. Pugglesworth
- No Puggity
- Peter Pug
- Pugs Bunny
- Sir Puggington
- Snuggle Pug
- Spark Pug
- Stink Pug
Chinese Pug Names with Meanings
Some historians believe that the origin of the Pug breed can be traced back to China as early as 400 B.C.E. These dogs served as companions to Buddhist monks and lapdogs for Chinese emperors -- a role similar to the life of luxury they enjoy today! Consider giving your Pug a Chinese name to honor their lineage.
- Ai - aa-iy - "love"
- Bai - b-ay - "pure"
- Chen - hhehn - "morning"
- Feng - fah-ng - "phoenix or peak"
- Jun - jhuw-n - "truthful"
- Lai - lay - "future"
- Li Mei -liy meh-iy - "pretty rose"
- Lu - luw - "musical note"
- Min Zhe - meen je - "gentle, wise"
- Shan - shaen - "mountain"
- Tai - tay - "extreme"
- Xiu - shay-uw - "elegant"
- Zhen - jeng - "precious treasure"
Names that Play on Pugs' Wrinkles
Pugs are well known by their expressive and wrinkled faces. Even as puppies, they naturally have folds all over their bodies. Play on your Pug's cute wrinkles with a silly name that celebrates their creases.
- Roly Poly
Strong Names for Pugs with Meanings
Any owner will tell you, there's no stopping a persistent Pug! These sturdy little dogs are incredibly tough, both mentally and physically. Highlight your Pug's resilient appearance or personality with a powerful name that suits them.
- Aaron- a Hebrew name meaning "high mountain"
- Akira - a Hindi name meaning "graceful strength"
- Andrea - a Greek name meaning "strong"
- Bertha - a Germanic name meaning "bright one"
- Caesar - a Latin name meaning "ruler"
- Gabriella - a Hebrew name meaning "devoted to God"
- Henry - a Germanic name meaning "ruler"
- Hercules - a Greek name, the son of Zeus
- Lara - a Latin name meaning "protection"
- Liam - an Irish name meaning "strong-willed warrior"
- Samson - a Hebrew name meaning "like the sun"
- Stark - a Middle English name meaning "unyielding"
- Tank - an English word for a military vehicle
- Thor - a Norse name meaning "thunder"
- Velda - a German name meaning "god of power"
- Viru - a Hindi name meaning "brave"
- Wilma - a German name meaning "protection"
Top Feminine Pug Names
If you have a petite or graceful Pug that you'd like to dub with a feminine name, consider one of these popular choices.
Great Names for Handsome Pugs
Your dapper dude deserves a name to highlight their chiseled good looks. Any name from this list will suit a handsome Pug.
Floral Pug Names
Pugs aren't necessarily the most delicate dog breed, but floral names can still suit them very well (or even serve as an ironic moniker). Pick one of these whimsical flower-inspired names for your Pug.
- Azalea - symbolizes "beauty and gentleness"
- Blossom - and English name meaning "bloom"
- Bluebell - represents "everlasting love"
- Buttercup - represents "joy"
- Dahlia - symbolizes "wealth and elegance"
- Daisy - an Old English word that means "day's eye"
- Dandelion - of French origin meaning "lion's tooth"
- Fleur - a French word meaning "flower"
- Holly - symbolizes "peace and goodwill"
- Honeysuckle - symbolizes "pure happiness"
- Hyacinth - a Greek word for the purple flowers
- Iris - a Greek name meaning "rainbow"
- Jasmine - from the Persian name Yasmine, meaning "gift from God"
- Lavender - symbolizes "serenity and grace"
- Lilac - symbolizes "spring and renewal"
- Lily - a Latin word meaning "purity"
- Marigold - symbolizes "strength"
- Petunia - a Latin name for a "nightshade flower"
- Poppy - a Latin word meaning "milk of happiness"
- Primrose - an English word meaning "first rose"
- Rose - symbol of love
- Rosemary - a Latin word that translates to "dew of the sea"
- Sunflower - of Greek origin, represents loyalty
- Tulip - represents "perfect love"
- Violet - in Latin means "purple"
- Willow - an Old English name meaning "freedom"
- Wisteria - symbolizes "long life"
These sweet names will suit a Pug of any gender.
Cute Pug Names are Plentiful
There are dozens of great options to choose from when selecting a name for your Pug. Consider their unique appearance and personality, as well as your preferences when settling on the right name. This isn't just a word or phrase that you'll use to call your best friend, but it will remain close to your heart for years to come.