If you prefer a little comic relief with your pets, forget traditional puppy names and look for the funniest dog names you can find. When you introduce your dog to friends in person or post about him on social media, you'll be rewarded with laughter and applauded for your creativity.
Funny Words to Use as Names for Dogs
Words That Mean Funny to Use As Dog Names
Other words for "funny" are easy to come by and sound as fun as their meanings. As you go through the words, say each one out loud to get a feel for how it sounds. Choose the one that makes you chuckle each time you say it.
- Cockamamie - Absurd
- Comic - Dealing with comedy
- Farcical - Situation exaggerated to being ridiculous
- Folderol - Nonsense
- Ha-Ha - Sound of laughter
- Handan - Turkish for "laughing"
- Hande - Turkish for "laughter"
- Humorous - Another word for funny
- Isaac - Hebrew for "he will laugh"
- Jayus - Indonesian for "a joke so unfunny you have to laugh"
- Jester - Professional medieval fool
- Jiemba - Wiradjuri for "laughing star"
- Joke - Something said for humor
- Kerfuffle - Nonsense
- Ludicrous - Something so absurd it's funny
- Malarkey - Nonsense
- Quip - Witty or funny comment
- Rigmarole - Nonsense
- Sekani - Tumbukan for "laugh"
- Taradiddle - Pretentious nonsense
- Zany - Something silly and unusual
Words That Sound Silly to Use As Dog Names
People have been inventing words since the beginning of spoken language, and some of these words are ripe for the picking when you need a pet name.
- Biffsquiggled - Fictional word from The BFG meaning "muddled brain feeling"
- Bumbershoot - Umbrella
- Bumfuzzle - Confuse
- Catywampus - Askew
- Dinglehopper - Mermaid word for "fork" in The Little Mermaid
- Gardyloo - Warning that slop is being thrown out a window
- Hinkypunk - One-legged creature from Harry Potter franchise
- Ill-Willie - With an unfriendly disposition
- Mugwump - Independent politician
- Plimpy - Fish creature from Harry Potter franchise
- Shenanigan - Prank
- Skullduggery - Underhanded dealing
- Snollygoster - Person who can't be trusted
- Widdershins - Counterclockwise
- Zozimus - Fictional word from The BFG meaning "what dreams are made of"
Funny Human Names for Dogs
Human names might work for men and women, but when paired with the right breed of dog, they become silly. Old-fashioned and traditional human names make for especially funny dog names.
Funny Human Names for Female Dogs
Creative female dog names are fun, but classic women's names can be even funnier. Think about your grandma and great-grandma's names to get inspiration.
Funny Human Names for Male Dogs
Funny male dog names can include common men's names because it seems ironic.
Famous Comedian Names for Dogs
Turn your favorite comedian's name into a punny dog name by changing up one or two syllables to a dog-related word.
- Adam Sandfur (Adam Sandler)
- Amy Shoo-mer/Shoe-mer (Amy Schumer)
- Chris Furley (Chris Farley)
- Eddie Grrphy (Eddie Murphy)
- Jerry Chewis (Jerry Lewis)
- Jerry Seinfurd (Jerry Seinfeld)
- Jim Hairy (Jim Carey)
- Joan Ruffers (Joan Rivers)
- Lick Van Dyke (Dick Vany Dyke)
- Roseanne Bark (Roseanne Barr)
- Will Furrell (Will Ferrell)
Funny Dog Character Names
Whether they're starring in movies, TV shows, or books, or acting as comedic side kicks, dog characters take center stage in pop culture. While some of these names are funny on their own, they can be made even funnier by pairing them with an unlikely breed.
- Bimbo - 1930s cartoon dogs
- Brain - Dog from Inspector Gadget franchise
- Brian Griffin - Walking, talking sarcastic dog from TV show Family Guy
- Sir Didymus - Wacky dog puppet who rides an actual dog in the movie Labyrinth
- Dug - Dog character from the movie Up
- Frank - Hilarious pug from the Men in Black movies
- Gromit - Clay-mation cartoon dog who is intelligent and snarky
- Hong Kong Phooey - Comedic dog from 1970s cartoon whose real name is Penrod "Penry" Pooch
- Itchy Itchiford - Dachshund from All Dogs Go to Heaven movies
- Jerry the Tyke - Cartoon dog from silent films also called Jerry the Troublesome Tyke
- Paul Anka - Dog with irrational fears from TV show Gilmore Girls
- Pig - Character from the Pig the Pug children's book series
- Porkchop - Doug Funnie's dog from the kid's show Doug
- Ruff Ruffman - Comedic dog character from PBS Kids shows
- SkippyJon Jones - Siamese cat who thinks he's a Chihuahua from a children's book series
- The Cuteness - Dog from the movie Master of Disguise
- Triumph the Insult Comic - Rottweiler puppet dog known for his crass humor and smoking fake cigars
Hilarious Names for Funny Dog Breeds
The funniest dog breeds may look very different from each other, but they all look silly. Capitalize on your dog's quirky breed by giving him a quirky name to match.
Funny Dog Names Based on Size
With big and small dogs you can either choose a funny word that describes their size or choose an ironic name that is the opposite of their size.
- Ant - Tiny insect
- Beef Cake - Common nickname for muscular guy
- Flea - Tiny insect associated with animals
- Mini - Anther word for "tiny"
- Oaf -Clumsy person
- Onslaught - Superhero Magneto's alter ego
- Sasquatch - Giant mythological creature
- Thing - Large Marvel superhero
- Trenta - Biggest size drink at Starbucks
- Wee - Another word for "tiny"
Funny Names for a Brussels Griffon or Affenpinscher
The Brussels griffon and affenpinscher breeds both have naturally grumpy faces and sometimes appear to have a beard. Choose a funny name that pokes fun at these unique attributes.
- Ducktail (type of beard)
- Tweard (beard grown out for two years without cutting)
- Yeard (beard grown out for a year without cutting)
- ZZ Top
Funny Names for a Chinese Crested
Chinese crested dogs may be the funniest breed because they feature a hairless body, but luscious locks on their head and feet. Look for names humorous names that either indicate nudity or celebrate a beautiful head of hair.
- Birthday Suit
- Farah Fawcett
- Morgan Fairchild
- Skinny Dip
Funny Names for an English Bulldog or Pug
Short legs, a round body, and a wrinkly face should be your inspiration in picking out a funny name for an English bulldog or pug.
Funny Names for a Bergamasco Shepherd or Puli
Natural dreadlocks and a shaggy look are what set Bergamasco shepherds and pulis apart from other breeds. The fact that they look like walking mops puts them in the funny breed category.
- Ja-Fake-An (fake Jamaican)
Funny Names for Funny Dogs
Choosing a puppy name is never easy because there are so many great choices. The best dog names are the ones that mean something to the owners. If your dog's personality is comedic or you love humor, great dog names for your pet will include some funny element.