Some of the best husky dog names come from Alaska, the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, and the breed's deep history. With that in mind, pet parents may only need to search famous sled dog names in some cases for their pups. The husky breed is also the lead sled dog on many Iditarod teams, and those dogs have inspirational names for new pet owners.
Husky Dog Names
When many pet lovers think of a husky, they picture a sled dog, and the breed remains popular in this sport. There are also many famous huskies. For example, Balto, a sled dog hero, is known for delivering a vaccine safely to Nome's people in 1919.
Alaskan Towns for Husky Names
Some of the towns in Alaska convert into perfect husky names. Pet owners need to research these city names' true meanings to determine if they match their dog's personality. For example, the true meaning for Anchorage is an area that can accommodate a ship at anchor and may be perfect for a dog that loves the water.
- Juneau - prospector in 1881, Joe Juneau
- Ketchikan - Ketchikan Creek
- Sitka - "People on the Outside of Baranof Island"
- Wasilla - local Dena'ina chief, Chief Wasilla
- Kenai - flat, meadow, or open area with few trees
- Kodiak - Alutiiq word kadiak, meaning island
- Palmer - George W. Palmer built a successful trading post off the banks of the Matanuska River
- Nome - Inupiaq word Naami
- Bethel - Yup'ik meaning "Smokehouse People"
- Fairbanks - Golden Heart City
Alaskan (Inuit) Names for Huskies
Naming is important for the Alaskan Inuit people. Many pet parents embrace Inuit names for their huskies.
- Annakpok - angel
- Atka - king
- Chu - beaver
- Imnek - cliff
- Kanut - white geese
- Koko - chocolate
- Massak - soft snow
- Miki- little
- Nukka - younger sister
- Palartok - quiet
- Pukak - snow crust
- Qannik - snowflake
- Sakari - sweet
- Shila - flame
- Shesh - brown bear
- Siku - ice
- Sos - bear
- Tartok - dark
- Tuktu - deer
- Tunerk - gift
Iditarod Checkpoints for Husky Names
It's also appropriate to name your husky after a popular Iditarod race checkpoint.
- White Mountain
Lead Iditarod Dog Names for Huskies
In 1908, huskies were shipped from Siberia to Alaska for racing. Many of these dogs are known for their courage and treks across Alaska.
- Balto - dogsled hero, 1925 diphtheria serum run to Nome
- Togo - dogsled hero, 1925 diphtheria serum run to Nome
- Andy - the only sled dog to lead a team to four Iditarod championships
- Larry - raced in 10 Iditarods and Yukon Quests and won seven of them
- Kolyma - lead dog when Iron Man Johnson smashed the All-Alaska Sweepstakes record in 1910
- Granite - Butcher became the first musher to win three straight Iditarods with Granite as the lead dog
- Nugget - won fame by winning two consecutive Iditarods with two separate drivers
- Elmer - won the 1999 Golden Harness Award after leading Doug Swingley to his second of four Iditarod championships
- Jenny - Wright came in second place in the 1961 Fur Rendezvous World Championship Sled Dog Race with Jenny as the lead dog
- Nellie - Attla won the 1962 Fur Rondy championship and, one week later, took second place in the Alaska State Championship with Nellie as the lead dog
Mythology Inspired Husky Names
There are many names from mythology and folklore suitable for huskies.
Popular Boy Names for Huskies
There is a popular male name for every personality.
Popular Girl Names for Huskies
If you need the perfect girl name for your new husky puppy, there are so many adorable ideas. Make sure you match the name to her personality.
Literary Names for Huskies
Dogs appear in literature as far back as the bible. Many famous authors wrote about their dogs, and these are great names for huskies.
- Klondike - Jack London
- White Fang - Jack London
- George - Farley Mowat
- Kep - Beatrix Potter
- Blackie - Ernest Hemingway
- Hercules - William Shakespeare
- Cadmus - William Shakespeare
- Rex - D.H. Lawrence
- Rags - Edmund Vance Cooke
- Chris - John Galsworthy
Best Husky Dog Names for an Iconic Breed
Many husky pet parents consider names closely tied to the famous Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Not only are these notable names as they represent lead sled dogs, but they are also unique to this breed. All husky pet parents want the perfect name for this iconic dog, and there are plenty available.